4/4/10

Still Continuing to Learn

Yes, still the walls continue to close in on me. Last weekend I was surprised by my boyfriend Shawn. He knew (I thought) I needed to get away from the staring out the window and the thoughts that were over taking me. Since he lives in upstate in New York we met at the Bay Front in Erie. What a beautiful place. I arrived to a beautiful bay front room. The view out the window of the room was just water from one side of the glass to the other. I arrived at 4pm. So the schedule was - that there was no schedule. What I felt was nice was he put some great thought into the trip. On the desk next to the window was strawberries, blueberries, almonds, vegetables and some great different waters. Everything I would want to munch on if I felt I needed a snack. He also took the time to purchase an IPOD speaker to play some music through out the room. Soon out came my rain machine from his house that I use to sleep at night. I cannot sleep without NOISE in a room, but a TV keeps me awake. I really couldn't believe the thought he put into stay for the weekend. I would have to admit I was nervous about my first time away from home and eating food out and about!

Dinner time came and I was a little apprehensive. How would I handle it? Could I handle it? Would the waitress think I was a freak? Would Shawn give me a hard time? Well I guess we wont know until I try. I am going to try the turkey burger, I opt for no bun. It comes with fries. Why if someone is ordering a turkey burger would they want fries? This is flooring to me but anyway I exchange it for a salad. YES, before I did finally decide on something I did ask a numerous amount of questions. Because on here I make it sound like I just looked at the menu and selected. In reality it took me a good 20 minutes. The food server was patient but a little perplexed on what I was doing. I finally felt I needed to explain myself. She asked me "How do you turn down fries?" I told her to me they just don't exist any longer. I have made a mind shift that it just isn't all that important to eat fries, and really do they really taste all that great? Nah! I have to tell you the turkey burger was pretty good and I felt great in my first meal away. Major task accomplished!

Breakfast time and I am in a panic again. The menu arrives and WOW - it has a million healthy choices. I am going to have the scrambled egg whites with asparagus and chicken. I also get a yogurt parfait with granola and flax seeds and berries. SNAG - the scrambled egg whites come with HASH BROWNS "well can I have something else?" The server suggests (I call them a server because I am not sure they like being called a waitress anymore?) "how about a bowl of berries?" So she brings me a great bowl of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. YES, all my favorites. Two meals down and I am on a roll and we are off to the park to get in some steps for the day. My mood has so improved. Out and about not thinking (well not as much) and positive in knowing I can do this out away from home!


Tune in later.....

2 comments:

  1. You are doing well. I love reading about your journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It is hard being away from home. One big lesson but a good lesson. Keep it up. When do you go back on the Dr. OZ show?

    ReplyDelete